The Life of St. Bernard of Clairvaux
This tryptic is a total of 17' high X 24' wide and was painted in the year 1900. The mural was hung in the Gill St. Bernard School cafeteria in New Jersy since induction. The painting had met with forks and knives and years of grime. Originally painted on Jute, it was as crisp and dry as a cookie.
The stretcher of the painting had been permanently fixed to the concrete wall and could not be removed. We removed the painting from the stretcher, cleaned and restored the painting at our studio location. A new lining was applied to the verso, providing the Jute with new structural integrity. Later the painting was restretched back onto the original stretcher while it was still attached to the wall. Finishing retouches were done on site.